If you are looking for a luxury SUV that can also withstand bullets, bombs, and even grenades, consider checking out the new BMW X5 Protection VR6. This is the latest armored version of the popular X5 model, which has been updated for 2024 with a new engine, design, and features. The BMW X5 Protection VR6 is not your ordinary SUV. It is a specially modified vehicle that meets the highest security and safety standards for its occupants.
The BMW X5 Protection VR6 is based on the BMW X5 M60i xDrive, which means it has a powerful 4.4-liter twin-turbo V8 engine that produces 530 horsepower and 553 pound-feet of torque. It also has a 48-volt mild-hybrid system that enhances efficiency and performance. The BMW X5 Protection VR6 can accelerate from 0 to 62 mph in 5.9 seconds and reach a top speed of 131 mph, which is impressive considering its extra weight and armor.
The BMW X5 Protection VR6 has been certified by the VPAM (Association of Testing Institutes for Attack Resistant Materials and Constructions) as a VR6-class vehicle, which means it can resist attacks from handguns, rifles, and explosives. The BMW X5 Protection VR6 has several layers of protection that make it virtually impenetrable. These include:
- High-strength steel plates that cover the doors, side frame, roof, and bulkhead.
- An armored partition separates the passenger compartment from the cargo area.
- An aluminum underbody splinter shield that protects against explosive devices.
- A self-sealing fuel tank that automatically closes any holes caused by bullets or shrapnel.
- Multilayered safety glass that can withstand impacts and blasts.
- Run-flat tires that can keep running even after being punctured or damaged.
- A fire-extinguishing system that can be activated from inside or outside the vehicle.
- An intercom system that allows communication with people outside the vehicle without opening the windows or doors.
The BMW X5 Protection VR6 also offers optional features that enhance its security and functionality. These include:
- Additional armor for the roof and underbody increases the protection level to VR9-class, which can withstand even more powerful weapons and explosives.
- LED flashers in the front grille, rear flashers, roof flashers, and an acoustic signaling system can be used to alert other road users or authorities in case of emergency.
- A roof antenna with an additional receiver for digital two-way radio that enables secure communication with other vehicles or command centers.
- Flag poles can be mounted on the front fenders to display official flags or emblems.
Despite its rugged construction, the BMW X5 Protection VR6 does not compromise on comfort and luxury. The interior is spacious and elegant, with four individual seats wrapped in Sensafin leather. The driver and passengers can enjoy the latest technology and entertainment features, such as:
- A 14.9-inch infotainment screen and a 12.3-inch driver display provide access to various functions and information.
- A four-zone climate control system that ensures optimal temperature and air quality.
- A Harman Kardon surround sound system that delivers high-quality audio.
- A panoramic glass roof creates a bright and airy atmosphere.
- A wireless charging pad and a WiFi hotspot that enables connectivity and convenience.
The BMW X5 Protection VR6 also comes with a range of driver assistance systems that make driving easier and safer. These include:
- Adaptive cruise control with a stop-and-go function that maintains a safe distance from the vehicle ahead.
- Lane departure warning and lane-keeping assist help keep the vehicle in its lane.
- Blind-spot detection and rear cross-traffic alerts warn of vehicles or objects in the blind spots or behind the vehicle.
- Parking assistant plus with surround view camera that assists in maneuvering and parking the vehicle.
The BMW X5 Protection VR6 is not a mass-produced vehicle. A dedicated team makes it of experts at the BMW plant in Spartanburg, South Carolina, where the regular BMW X5 is also built. Production involves careful craftsmanship and quality control to ensure the highest security and performance standards. The BMW X5 Protection VR6 is available to order now, with deliveries starting in early 2024. The price has not been announced yet, but it is expected to be significantly higher than the base price of the X5 M60i xDrive, which starts at $86,250.
The BMW X5 Protection VR6 is not for everyone. It is designed for customers needing extra protection from threats or attacks, such as government officials, diplomats, celebrities, or business executives. The BMW X5 Protection VR6 offers them peace of mind and confidence while traveling in style and comfort. The BMW X5 Protection VR6 is more than just an SUV. It is the ultimate armored SUV.
BMW X5 M50i and BMW X7 M50i receive the new 530hp V8 engine equipped with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology. Both models benefit from the BMW xDrive integral traction system and suspension technology...read more
The new Range Rover Sport luxury SUV is characterized by an athletic pose and tight lines that communicate power and skill. At the same time, Land Rover demonstrates its...read more
Mercedes-Benz has presented the new GLC SUV. The model range includes four-cylinder petrol and diesel engines combined with an electric motor. Three engine variants are...read more
If you're looking for a compact crossover that can also deliver some serious performance, you might want to check out the BMW X1 M35i xDrive. This is the most powerful and...read more
Are you ready for a vehicle that can handle any terrain, no matter how rugged? Look no further than the 2024 Subaru Outback Wilderness, the latest offering from the renowned...read more
BMW M GmbH created several of BMW's most recognizable vehicles. In the eyes of many BMW enthusiasts, the M series represents the pinnacle of fun behind the wheel. As a result,...read more
The Volkswagen T-Cross is one of the most successful compact SUVs in the world, with more than 300,000 units sold since its launch in 2018. It combines practicality,...read more
With 244 hp, all-wheel-drive system and larger than the Land Cruiser itself, the Toyota Highlander will be the flagship of the Japanese brand in Europe. According to Toyota...read more
I love driving. I love the thrill of speed, the challenge of skill, the freedom of choice. I love the feeling of being in control, of being one with the machine, of being human. But ...read more
Maserati has been giving its cars names based on the winds that blow in the Mediterranean area for almost 60 years. The Grecale term, whose car version we see here, comes...read more